I am looking for self-motivated Ph.D students funded by: (1) Monash Scholarships (2) Australian Research Council.
Multiple Phd positions are available. Applicants currently in Australia are especially welcome! Drop me an email now!
Visitor positions for 2021 are ALL filled.
Monash University is one of the prestigious universities in Australia. It is a member of “Group of Eight”. Monash University is ranked in the top 60 globally in the following ranking systems:
- 2022 QS Ranking: 58
- 2022 US News Ranking:48
- 2022 Times Higher Education World University Ranking: 57
Group members can be found here . This research group mainly focuses on data mining, machine learning, NLP, deep learning, graph data analytics, and AI applications. The research group consists of a number of Phd students working on the following area (Potential PhD/minor thesis/honours research topics include but are not limited to):
- Graph & Network Analytics
- Graph Nerual Networks
- Graph Attack and Defence
- Social Recommendation
- Knowledge Graph
- Graph Embedding
- Deep Learning
- AutoML (Neural Architecture Search)
- Adversarial deep learning
- Deep learning for graph Data
- Deep spatial temporal modeling
- Deep reinforcement learning
- Sentence embedding
- Attention network
- Text classification
- Question Answering
- Time Series/Streaming Data Analytics
- Time series feature selection
- Time series prediction
- Data stream/concept drift
- Anomaly Detection
- Outlier detection
- Novelty discovery
- AI Applications
- Cyberbullying detection
- Suicidual detection
- Healthcare data analytics
- Recommender system
Requirements for External Students
- A master degree with a computer science related background, and GPA > 85/100. Outstanding students with only undergraduate degree can also be considered, if GPA > 90/100.
- Outstanding English skills, e.g., IELTS 6.5 overall (no band less than 6.0), TOEFL IBT 79 + (Reading 13, Listening 12, Speaking 18 & Writing 21).
- A good publication track record, demonstrated by publications.
Requirements for Monash Students
For PhD Applicant, I normally take students who have worked with me for a couple of months (e.g., through minor/honour thesis). So it would be better if you can contact me a couple of months before to express your interest. Also, you may probably require to
- have an H1 WAIM score for your Master or Honour degree.
- have taken core data science units (e.g., FIT5201, FIT5202, FIT5197, FIT5212, FIT5149)
- have done or been doing a minor thesis related to data science.
For minor/honour thesis applicants, you will require to
- have an H1 WAIM score (>85)
- have considered doing a PhD after minor thesis. You will probably work with one of my PhD student who can provide consistent help for your minor thesis.
Others can be found at https://www.monash.edu/it/our-research/graduate-research/how-to-apply
There is no deadline, and you can apply at anytime of the year!
Please send me your CV, transcripts, publication list, and research topics (not have to be the one listed above) that you are interested in. Due to large number of applications, I may only reply to selected applicants.
email: shirui.pan at monash.edu